Be Our Guest
Welcome to the best 30 miles in Oregon and the friendly communities of Chiloquin, Rocky Point, and Fort Klamath—right here in Crater Lake’s backyard.
We’re located just south of Crater Lake National Park, along the north side of Upper Klamath Lake, along the east flank of the Southern Oregon Cascades, and between Highway 97 and Interstate 5. We’re only 5 hours south of Portland and 6 hours north of San Francisco, with airline service into nearby Klamath Falls and Medford. Come for a day, a week, or longer and experience over 500 very special square miles of lakes, streams, marsh, wilderness trails, wildlife, history, recreational opportunities, and resorts.
Leave the speedboat and the iPod at home. The absence of glitz, noise, and speed endears this region to residents, and lures those seeking a special respite. Take a deep breath. Look around. It’s all here!
- The largest freshwater ecosystem west of the Great Lakes with rivers, streams, and lakes for kayaking, canoeing [paddling], and fishing [fishing].
- Part of the Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway All American Road leading to Crater Lake National Park [attractions].
- Gentle hikes and challenging wilderness treks [hiking].
- Sunset Magazine’s #1 birding destination in the West [birding].
- Local festivals, celebrations, and rodeos [events].
- Artists who create everything from quilts and fiber arts, to stained glass and jewelry, to pottery and hand-crafted wooden furniture [arts].
- A variety of accommodations including large & small resorts, B & Bs, motels, lodges, cabins, campgrounds, and RV parks [lodging].
- Country roads and multi-use trails for biking and horseback riding [cycling].
- A 1/8 scale railroad with free Saturday rides [attractions].
- Native American exhibits [attractions].
- Over 350 miles of uncrowded winter trails [seasons].
- A logging museum and pioneer village [attractions].
- The site of an old fort with a “real” cavalry guide, celebrating sesquicentennial in 2013 [attractions].
- Sled dog kennel tours with an Iditarod musher [lodging].
- Rich autumn colors and waterfowl hunting opportunities [seasons].
- The Best Little Bookstore north of San Francisco and south of Seattle. [attractions]
- Five local sites selected for inclusion on the National Geographic Geotourism Map. [learn more]